Monday, July 2, 2018

Incipiamus


            I graduated from college five months ago, so I’m still a little dazzled. I’m also stuffed with many impractical tidbits of information. I can tell you with some assurance that the Latin Quis sum? translates to “Who am I?,” but I can’t really answer the question.
            Likes: Literary critique, babies, dilettantism, geology, sex, whimsical outings, enthusiasm, Status Quo, and the Oxford comma
            Dislikes: Climbing stairs, condescending explanations, waiting, fatty meat, bullies, feeling superfluous, socks that are eaten by shoes, and “anyways”
            You’ve seen Roman mosaic-work, right? They used thousands of tiny blocks of colored stone (called tesserae) to lay out intricate, elaborate designs on their floors. At this point in my career – post-children, post-college, post-relevance – it is exactly as if an unseen hand has gathered together all the tesserae of my life and thrown them into the air, and I am waiting to see what pattern will be formed when they finally land. I have it on good authority that the new picture will eventually be as beautiful as the old one, but – well, see Dislike #3.
            Join me on this journey, won’t you? You’d make a beautiful mosaic piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment